
One
of the hardest parts of writing a book is choosing a title. Last week I mentioned
my current work-in-progress using the title Burned Out, but I had
actually changed it by then. As I got farther into the book, I realized that
the title wasn’t appropriate since my protagonist was only burned out for the
first third of the story. It is now titled Agamiing after the fictional
village where most of it takes place. That may sound like a strange title, but
many women’s fiction novels are named after their settings.
I
usually consider several options and choose a working title before I start
writing. That working title often becomes the final one, but not always.
My
first middle-grade historical novel went through several title changes. My
protagonist is a half-Japanese girl living in California when Pearl Harbor occurs,
and it follows her as she is temporarily confined at the Tanforan racetrack before
moving to more permanent quarters at the Topaz War Relocation Center in the
Utah desert. My initial title was “Topaz” since that camp takes up more pages
than any other location in the book, but I wondered if that was too dull. As I
mentioned above, fictional settings are often used in women’s fiction titles,
but they are less frequent in children’s novels. Besides, Topaz was a real
place and there are many books written about it.
Then
I tried “Topaz Blue,” trying to capture the mood of the camp, but I wondered if
that was too obstruse or too depressing for my young audience. By the time the
book was published, the title had changed to Desert Jewels. Its meaning is
explained by one of the teachers in the camp, who calls the children precious
jewels and compares them to the topaz found in the desert.
Then
there is the middle-grade book that I have coming out in October, which tells
the story of a girl whose father takes a job as an assistant lighthouse keeper
and moves his family to a remote island. I named the fictional island “Lonely
Rock” and used that as the working title for the book. Although it fits the
island, it’s a boring title for a book, and I am looking for a better one
before the book is published.
My
latest thought is to use “Surviving the Storm.” It isn’t one long storm, as in
a disaster story, but there are storms in both the book and the protagonist’s
heart. The picture at the head of this post is a mockup of a possible cover,
using a negative image of a photo I took in 2021 of Portland Head Light in
Maine. Although that lighthouse isn’t identical to the one described in the
book, it’s close enough and is the best of my own photographs for the purpose. I
still have a little time to decide, though, so both the title and the cover
could change before publication.
But I’d love to know what you think of them both.
No comments:
Post a Comment