Butterflies

Monday, August 3, 2026

 

I’ve been enjoying the butterflies all summer, including the Eastern tiger swallowtail that perched on the flowers on my balcony while I took the photo at the head of this post. As summer draws closer to the end—especially for schoolchildren and their teachers—I’ll be concentrating my blog on the signs of summer that will be ending as well.

This week’s post is a poem about butterflies that I originally wrote in 2012, although I added the verse about the swallowtails this year.

                         Butterflies



Common Buckeye

A buck’s eyes prance across the wings

That hover low above the ground

From gravel path to grassy verge

And roadside park.


 

Red Admiral

 

A ring of fire encircles him

When wings are spread apart,

Or underlines the white and black

When raised in victory.


 

Clouded Sulfur

 

Alfalfa fields a common haunt

For your night-feeding frenzy,

A pretty sight to untrained eyes

But no friend to farmers.


 

Monarch

 

Milkweed stalks with silken heads

Become a Monarch’s throne.

Then winter comes and orange and black

Aims south and flies away.


 

Swallowtails

 

Black outlined in yellow

Or yellow outlined in black,

Two delicate tails

Set them apart.

 

I’ll end this post the way I started, with the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.


Join me next week for flowers I see along my walking trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment