My
walks frequently take me along Schoon Ditch. Aside from the exercise, it’s
always a pleasant walk because I don’t know what I might see.
So
on two of my walks in June (about a week apart) and another in early July, I
was pleasantly surprised to see a large white bird standing in the water. It
isn’t the first time I’ve seen a similar bird along that trail, but it has been
several years, and the sightings are always rare.
Although
I’m not any better at identifying birds than I am at identifying flowers, I
think it was a great egret. My internet research says they aren’t common in
Indiana and are mostly seen here in late summer or early fall, so I don’t know
what this one was doing here in June. It might have been resting but is
unlikely to have been searching for food since, as far as I know, there are no
fish in Schoon Ditch. Still, there are plenty of ducks if it was looking for
feathery companionship and couldn’t find it among its own kind.
Unfortunately,
I didn’t have my Canon camera with me, and the zoom on my cell phone isn’t as
good. It takes great closeups, but whenever I got too close the bird flew away.
Not far, and it seemed pretty nonchalant in that very public spot between a
high school and a hospital, but it didn’t stay in one place long enough to give
me a good photo op.
Next
time, maybe it will pose for better pictures.

No comments:
Post a Comment