Back
in June, my camera club took a field trip to Oak Ridge Prairie with our
resident dragonfly expert. I hadn’t previously had much luck capturing
dragonflies with my camera, so I was thrilled by the experience. I felt as if I
was in Fort Knox except surrounded by dragonflies rather than gold.
The
photo at the top of this post shows a Common Whitetail, and it is the only
female in the group. I forgot to ask our resident expert why there was such an
imbalance between the sexes, but Google’s AI says the males are aggressive and
the females tend to stay away to avoid harassment. Maybe they need a “Me Too”
movement.
The
rest of these photos are all males, and I have included them alphabetically. In
the order they appear, they are: Banded Pennant, Calico Pennant, Eastern
Pondhawk, Spangled Skimmer, Twelve-Spotted Skimmer, and Widow Skimmer.
Some of the dragonflies melted into the background and were hard to see. Next week’s post talks about a bird who stood out and didn’t care who saw him.







No comments:
Post a Comment