Struggling Through Love 101

Monday, February 15, 2010

I spent my Valentine's Day thinking about the meaning of love. Not erotic feelings or even the experience of being "in love," but the I Corinthians 13 type. Paul says, "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (I Corinthians 13:4-7, ESV)

If I Corinthians 13 was a grading rubric, I'd flunk the course. We all would, because God is the only one who can live up to that standard. Fortunately, it isn't a required class for those who get their degree from Grace University. Okay, maybe that's a lousy analogy, but it was worth a shot . . .

My love is often selfish, and I can hold onto resentments for years. And there have been times in my life when I could truly say I hated someone. But I know those actions make God sad, just as my children's behavior could (and still can) make me sad.

I don't want to make God sad, so I try to follow His rules. Not because I have to, but because I want to. Or, to continue the bad analogy, I'm struggling through the I Corinthians 13 class because I know God wants me to take it.

The coursework includes love for friends as well as for family and everyone else. Although I've kept up with some old classmates and am trying to reconnect with others, I'm not good at maintaining long-distance relationships. One of my college friends with whom I exchange Christmas letters has gone through some hard times in her marriage. And although I tell her I'm praying for her (and do pray for her immediately after receiving the latest Christmas letter), I have never offered to be her sounding board. She may not need one, but what if she does? It's time to get out her address and send an unscheduled letter.

I want to make the same offer to the rest of my friends. I've always been a good listener, and sometimes listening is the best thing a friend can do. Not give advice, not spout Bible verses, and certainly not condemn. Just love and listen.

So if you need that kind of friend, I'm here.

3 comments:

patti lacy said...

Kathryn, my answer to finding "bloggites" is to visit other blogs, show interest, leave comments. For example, you can visit my blog, make comments, click on other comments that interest you, visit their blog.

It's a God-lead process of building a writing community. Also a way to meet authors via their books and websites.

Hope this helps...and hope to see you soon!!

Patti

Linda Glaz said...

Hey, Kathryn, glad to see you up and running. I promise not to start a conversation about showing and telling hahahaha! Glad your blogging.

Caroline said...

Kathryn, I just become one of your followers, & ask that your reciprocate. :) Hope your blogging journey is fun and profitable.

http://sunnebnkwrtr.blogspot.com
Thanks much & hope we learn lots from each other.
Blessings!
Carole

Post a Comment