The True Meaning of Christmas

Monday, April 5, 2010

"Wait a second," you say. "The true meaning of Christmas? Aren't you getting your holidays mixed up?"

No. I wrote what I wrote, and I'm sticking to it.

Christmas isn't about gifts or decorations or family dinners. It is about the birth of a baby who was fully God and yet fully man--about God's only Son humbling Himself and becoming like me (except without sin, which is a HUGE difference).

But the baby we celebrate at Christmas came with a special mission. Although He came to live among us for a while, His ultimate purpose was to die a painful and dishonorable death. A death He didn't deserve--but we do. A death followed by a resurrection that He deserved--but we don't. Or, to put it in Sunday School terms, Jesus died on the cross to save us (me and you) from our sins. But death wasn't the end. It couldn't hold Him, and it won't hold us. Jesus' resurrection is proof that He is God, and it assures me that I will live eternally with Him.

I don't understand why God chose to do things this way, but I'm grateful that He did.

If Christ had not come to earth as a baby, we would have no reason to celebrate Easter.

That's why the true meaning of Christmas is Easter.

CHRIST IS RISEN!

HE IS RISEN INDEED!

ALLELUIA!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

How true. So many don't really think of it like that, but we should celebrate Christmas by recognizing that it's only the beginning--Easter is the finish for our Savior.

Thanks for the post.

Carrie said...

Alleuia!

Post a Comment