Lessons From the Royal Wedding

Monday, May 2, 2011

Okay, I admit it. I watched the royal wedding. No, I didn't get up early to see it as it happened, but I did watch a replay that night.

And yes, I thought it was cool. However, it wasn't the dress or the ceremonial details that made it special. Here are two things that did.

The service began with these words regarding marriage:

First, It was ordained for the increase of mankind according to the will of God, and that children might be brought up in the fear and nurture of the Lord, and to the praise of his holy name.
Secondly, It was ordained in order that the natural instincts and affections, implanted by God, should be hallowed and directed aright; that those who are called of God to this holy estate, should continue therein in pureness of living.
Thirdly, It was ordained for the mutual society, help, and comfort, that the one ought to have of the other, both in prosperity and adversity.*
What a wonderful definition of marriage as God planned it. Those words also describe my marriage, my parents' marriage, and other good marriages I have observed.

Second, this marriage appears to be founded on love. It shone out of William's and Kate's eyes when they looked at each other.

That's the biggest difference between this wedding and the one that joined Charles and Diana. That was duty. This is love.

Kate will face many of the same pressures Diana did, but, if I read it right, Kate will face them with a loving and supportive husband at her side.

And that could make all the difference.

__________
* "Alternative Service, Series One," from the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer. 

1 comment:

Karla Akins said...

Yes! There were several really awesome things about the wedding that I loved besides the glamor. I thought the chosen scripture of Romans 12 was incredible (her brother read it aloud). They chose that scripture. It gives me hope that these two are very grounded young people who want to do good. And I agree. I think they do love one another a great deal. When they got in the carriage and she asked him, "are you happy?" That pretty much said it all.

Post a Comment