Merry Christmas v. Happy Holidays

Monday, December 12, 2011

Merry Christmas is suing Happy Holidays for divorce and asking for custody of Christmas. Why? Because Merry Christmas believes that Happy Holidays is turning Christmas into a non-practicing Christian or even an atheist.



But if the court appointed me as guardian ad litem, I'd argue for joint custody. (A guardian ad litem advocates for the child's best interests rather than for the interests of either parent.)

I love the freedom I have as an American, but freedom works both ways. If I am free to say "Merry Christmas," my countrymen are free to say "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah" or whatever they choose.

And retailers and restaurateurs should be given that same freedom. Yes, sometimes they will decide to do whatever they think pleases their customers even if it isn't their personal preference, but that's their choice.

What are we afraid of, anyway? It isn't as if store decorations and holiday salutations can take Christ out of Christmas. Either God came to earth in human form or he didn't. We can spin the facts, but we can't change them.

My God is in control even if I don't say "Merry Christmas."

So have a merry Christmas or a happy holiday season or both.

1 comment:

Loree Huebner said...

Amen, Kathryn! Well said.

Post a Comment