Let There Be Light

Monday, September 10, 2012

It's amazing what a little light can do.

Light was the first thing God created, and I'm sure there were plenty of reasons for that honor. Light=good. Dirt and cockroaches and evil can't hide in it. Light=knowledge and truth. Falsehood can't hide in it, either. Light=growth. Think plants and the illumination that comes from education (formal and informal). And there are plenty of scientific studies that show light=hope and cheer, overcoming the depression that darkness creates in the human spirit.

And, of course, light helps you see what you are doing.

Not that God needed it for that. I'm sure he can see perfectly in pitch darkness. But his creatures can't, and I'm one of them.

I like our condo, but I don't like the lack of direct light. In the four months since we moved in, I've been buying lamps and trying different ways to light up the living room, the master bedroom, and especially my office. Even with four strategically placed lamps, my office was still dark.

Until now.

Last Saturday I went to Lowe's and purchased the chandelier shown in the picture. There's no electrical box in the office ceiling, but there is a hook in the center. So I figured I'd just buy a chandelier-type light with a chain: one I could swag across the ceiling and plug into a wall socket. Simple, right?

Except they no longer sell chandeliers that plug into wall sockets. None of the ceiling lights at Lowe's would work.

Without the box or a conversion kit, that is. The conversion kit saved me. There must be a lesson in there somewhere, but I'll save it for another day.

Because right now I'm basking in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment