Gone Again

Monday, April 15, 2013

I love being an empty nester.

I also love it when my children come home for a visit.

And when they leave again, I have mixed feelings.

That probably makes me an average mother of adult children, which is okay.

John has been home on leave for a month after finishing his Navy schooling. Yesterday he left for his first ship, the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln, which is currently refueling the nuclear reactors that power the ship and undergoing an overhaul in Newport News, Virginia. These overhauls take so long that John could spend the rest of his Navy career on a ship that never leaves the dock. (Unlike the U.S.S. John Stennis in the picture, which Roland and I saw when we were in Hawaii several years ago.)

Roland is cheering because he got his office back. (It doubles as John's bedroom.) I'm cheering because I won't worry about my 26-year-old son when he is out with friends until 2:00 a.m. Yes, I know he is a responsible adult, but I'm still a mom. (Not that parents ever stop worrying about their children, but I'm less likely to worry about things I don't know.)

And I'm happy that my adult children have lives of their own. We raised them to be independent, so should I complain because we succeeded?

Not I.

No comments:

Post a Comment