Winter Haikus

Monday, January 27, 2014


I spent Saturday afternoon at a writing workshop. I was a volunteer (event photographer) rather than a registrant, so I was in and out of the sessions and didn’t get to participate in most of the exercises. Still, I was inspired by one of the poetry sessions to write my own winter haikus.

A haiku is a poetry form that originated in Japan. It is a three-line, seventeen-syllable poem with five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five in the third. Haikus usually focus on images from nature.

The first deals with the beauty of snow and ice.
White falling droplets
Winter water ice and snow
Veil bushes and trees.
 
This one talks about a pastime I used to enjoy in my much younger days.
 
Firm sparkling water
Skaters glide by to and fro
Lake frozen over.
 
And this final poem talks about the drive home from the Strictly Sail show on Friday.
 
Snow covers freeway
Drivers watch for white lane lines
Going steady slow.
 
Okay, so I’m not a great haiku writer. But it’s fun to try now and then.
 
How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment