Don't Vote for Me

Monday, August 8, 2016

Bayeux, France, © 2015 Kathryn Page Camp

No, I’m not running for public office, but I did enter an online photography competition that is part popularity contest.

I entered the two photographs included with this blog in The Times Destinations Photo Contest. The winners are chosen by viewer voting that occurs from today (August 8) through Thursday (August 11). I encourage you to go to www.nwi.com/travel and vote for your favorites. However, I am not suggesting that you vote for me.

While popularity is nice, I believe in basing choices primarily on merit. I’ve seen some of the other entries, and I’m highly unlikely to win based on either criteria. But I don’t mind. I’d rather the winners were chosen for the photograph’s merit rather than the photographer’s popularity. And that won’t happen unless a significant number of people vote for their favorite photos without regard to the photographer.

Wittenberg, Germany, © 2016 Kathryn Page Camp
Like art, merit is in the eye of the beholder. I wince every time I see an E.E. Cummings poem. It isn’t just the lack of capital letters, either, because I am equally bothered when I just listen. His poetry makes me wonder if he used gimmicks because he was too lazy to write great lines. But some people think he’s a genius. (And I do have to admit that I like “maggie and milly and molly and may.”) The merit in poetry is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.
 
Photography works that way, too. Not everyone likes the same pictures, and that’s okay.
 
If you really like one of my entries and want to vote for it, fine. But vote for the photo.
 
Don’t vote for me.
__________
 
The first photo shows the old world charm of Bayeux, France, which is a small but vibrant town located in Normandy.
 
In the second photo, the steeples of the Town Church (St. Marien) tower over the houses lining the town square in Wittenberg, Germany.


No comments:

Post a Comment