"I Don't Like to Read"

Monday, July 23, 2018


Roland and I have been volunteering at a summer reading program held at Ascension Lutheran Christian School in Gary, Indiana. The first day we were there, I overheard one girl say “I don’t like to read.” My immediate response was, “Oh, but reading books will teach you . . .”

Then I stopped. Children don’t want to be told what they can learn. What I was about to say could actually be a disincentive. So I changed it to, “Books take you to new places and let you meet new people.” And I probably should have added something about going on new adventures.

Unfortunately, she wasn’t convinced.

By the time my children were that age (going into second grade), Caroline loved to read. John didn’t spend as much time at it as she did, but he enjoyed a good story when he read one.

So how do we instill a love for reading in our children?

The best way is to set a good example. This means reading to them and making frequent visits to the library. But it also means letting them see us reading.

Programs like the one at Ascension help, too.  The free program meets twice a week through most of June and July, with volunteers staffing stations for various language arts activities.* 

At the end of the Thursday session, children pick several books from a pile of donations. (See the photo below.) Book ownership will help encourage them to read, especially when they have made their own choices. That’s the idea, anyway.

Most children can’t get to the library or a summer reading program unless a parent or guardian takes them. If you aren’t motivated to read yourself and to take your children or grandchildren or neighbors to age-appropriate reading activities, they aren’t likely to be motivated, either. And before you know it, you’ll hear them say, “I don’t like to read.”

Fortunately, it isn’t an incurable disease. That girl who doesn't like to read has been at Ascension for most sessions, so maybe the program will change her mind.

I hope so.

__________

* Although the billboard mentions scholarships available, that is for the regular school year.                                                    


No comments:

Post a Comment