Autumn in the Midwest

Monday, October 15, 2018



I have been busy preparing for a conference at the end of the month, so I am reprinting a blog post from November 4, 2013.
Autumn in the Midwest
Saturday I drove to Indianapolis for a writers’ luncheon. On the way down, the sun was still fighting the darkness and a fine mist veiled the scenery, so I barely noticed the trees. But on the return trip, the sun highlighted the gorgeous fall colors.
That and a few lines in a poem written by a friend inspired me to write this one.
A Feast for the Eyes
Driving along I-65,
The trees are a candy store assortment
Of cinnamon, tangerine drops, and butterscotch.
Walking through a duneland forest,
The path is a farmstand cornucopia
With cranberries, walnuts, and butternut squash.
Living autumn days,
The landscape is a Midwest banquet
That feasts the eyes while feeding the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment