Don't Sell Your Books for Free

Monday, December 3, 2018


I subscribe to a service called BookBub, which notifies me of daily e-book deals. The prices for a Kindle version range from $2.99 to free.

Although I’d had bad luck with free books in the past, I decided to try one or two of those “deals.” After all, what did I have to lose?

A lot, as I will explain two paragraphs down.

Free means badly written by an author who clearly has no understanding of the principles of fiction writing. I’m sure there are exceptions, but that is what it has meant every time I’ve gotten a Kindle book for that price. And that includes those books advertised as having “over 5000 five-star Goodreads ratings.” I’m convinced that these authors join a network of writers who agree to give five-star ratings to each other’s books without even reading them.

I’m a busy woman who already has a long reading list. Any time spent on a bad book is time I can’t spend on a good one. And although I’m much better than I used to be, something in me still balks at putting a book down before I have finished it. So I don’t buy free books.

The main reason to give away free books is to generate paid sales. If people will love your book, they will rave about it and tell all their friends (Facebook or otherwise), who will then rush out and buy it. Or if it is the first in a series, the people who receive the free one will pay for the subsequent ones. That’s the theory, anyway.

These authors of these substandard books probably believe they are good writers, but there are only two reasons why conventional (as opposed to experimental) books don’t sell. The author is either a poor marketer (which I understand very well) or a bad writer.

If you are a poor marketer, I doubt that giving away free books is enough to overcome it, and if you are a bad writer, the practice can actually be counterproductive.

Given an interesting concept, I might take a chance and spend a few dollars to buy a book. I have bought several of the $1.99 and $2.99 books highlighted on BookBub, and most have been worth it. If the book I paid for is bad, I won’t buy another from the same writer. But at least that person has made a portion of the money I already spent. If the book is free, the writer doesn’t even get that.

So before you sell your book for free, pay a professional to do a substantive edit, or find a group of beta readers who will be brutally honest with you.

You’ll regret it if you don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment