Tribute to a Terrific Mother-in-Law

Monday, February 25, 2019


Edith Caroline Schmitt Camp, 1926-2019.

My mother-in-law died early Wednesday morning. She was 92 and had lived a good life until dementia set in. Although her family and friends will miss her, Mom’s new life in heaven is a time to rejoice, not a time to weep.

Mom and Dad were married for 64 years before Dad’s death in 2012. After that, her health gradually declined.

I knew her for just over 40 years.

It isn’t unusual to hear people complain about their mothers-in-law, and mother-in-law jokes are common. But Mom and I had a good relationship. She never criticized me, at least in my hearing, and I think she was happy with her son’s choice. For my part, I respected and appreciated her.

Mom was a strong Christian woman who was active in her church until age and circumstances intervened. She worked hard all her life and made it a priority to raise her children to be respectful and to internalize her Christian values.

Thank you, Mom, for giving me a good husband and for being a worthy role model for my children.

You will be missed here.

But it’s your time to celebrate.

__________

The photo shows Mom soaking up the rays outside the nursing home in Lebanon, Missouri on July 16, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment