When the Ideas Flow

Monday, September 2, 2019


My older brother has Parkinson’s Disease, and back in March he fell and ended up in a nursing home with much of his memory gone. At the time, I had three ideas for as yet unwritten middle-grade historicals and was almost ready to start one about a girl living in Chicago’s Pullman District during the 1894 Pullman strike.

As I have written in previous posts, Donald’s situation made me realize that I should work on my memoirs before anything happened to my own memory. So I set the Pullman novel aside for a while.

I’m just about finished with the part of my memoirs that covers my early years, and the latter years are better documented and less likely to be lost to my children if they don’t get written up right away. As a result, I had begun working on the outline for the Pullman book. I had the setting and the basic character arc but was having trouble coming up with the plot. I couldn’t even seem to force it.

The book after that was to be about a girl living and working on the Erie Canal. My anticipated timing had me beginning it sometime this winter, but that isn’t a great time for a research trip to New York, and I had already planned the trip for August.

There was no reason to postpone it, so Roland and I went as planned. We just returned, and the ideas have been flowing like the canal itself. Actually, the canal is rather sluggish, so that may not be a good analogy. But the ideas for the Erie Canal book started flowing even though I wasn’t ready for them yet. By the time I returned I had the story setting, the protagonist’s character arc, most of the important characters, some of the backstory, and a well-developed plot.

It became clear to me that I’m meant to write the Erie Canal book next. If I had a contract for the Pullman book, I would be agonizing about it right now. But because I have the flexibility to pick and choose my projects as circumstances dictate, I can put that one aside until later and work on Muddy Waters first.

I wouldn’t turn down a three-book contract, but sometimes there are advantages to not being sought-after.

__________

The image at the head of this post shows a painting by Edward Lamson Henry called “Round the Bend” portraying passenger travel along the Erie Canal around 1836. Almost every museum along the canal had a copy. The date the painting was created is unknown, but E.L. Henry died in 1919 and the image is in the public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment