Read Your Genre

Monday, January 27, 2020


I write middle-grade fiction, but it has been a long time since I was in that age group. So should I stick with my own generation during my reading time?

No way. Not only do I enjoy middle-grade fiction on its own merits, but reading it helps me improve my own work. That’s true for genre, too.

The age of the intended audience is a category, not a genre. Middle-grade fiction covers many genre, from fantasy to mystery to horror to historical. People who write for children should read books at that age level as well as in the same genre. But the point is the same for both.

Since I write historical fiction, I read adult historicals as well as middle-grade ones. And I read middle-grade fiction in other genres, as well. This provides multiple perspectives, but mostly it helps me understand what my readers want.

It can even help me find my way around a roadblock.

I don’t believe in writer’s block. When the writing gets hard, I force myself to keep working. Most of the time, the ideas start flowing again fairly quickly, although they sometimes take a different route than I had originally planned. But once in a very long while I get so stymied on a particular story that I set it aside without knowing if I will ever pick it up again. That’s what happened with a book I was going to write about the Pullman strike. I set it aside and moved on to my next idea, which had the ideas flowing faster than I could write them down. And the next project on my list is gaining that same momentum long before I am ready to work on it.

But after that, I may go back to the book about the Pullman strike. And how did I get around the roadblock? By reading (or rather listening to) The Strangers, a middle-grade fantasy by Margaret Peterson Haddix. And it did it simply by reminding me that an author can add life to a book by using multiple point-of-view characters with different perspectives. It also didn’t hurt that the oldest POV character is a boy.

So far, all of my POV characters have been girls. But the idea forming in my mind has twelve-year-old twins as the POV characters, and one of them is a boy. That challenges me to see the world through male eyes and sets up a conflict between the twins as they support opposing sides during the strike.

Reading within your genre (or in this case, audience age level) can tell you what stories and writing styles attract your audience. But those books can also spark ideas.

From time to time I hear people say they don’t read what they write. I’ve even tried that myself.

But reading within your genre can only make you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment