Coping with Condo Fever

Monday, April 20, 2020


With the coronavirus cancelling many of my activities, I have gotten condo fever. Yes, I can write from home and have plenty to read, but fewer activities create a boring monotony. Still, some good has come from it.

Starting with the Frivolous

My sock drawer finally got organized. (Literally, as you can see from the photo.)

Maintaining a Routine

I am learning that the days tend to blend into each other unless I follow a weekly routine. The markers used to be Women’s Bible Study and photo club on Tuesdays, Stephen Ministry on Wednesdays, choir practice on Thursdays, and church and Adult Bible Class on Sunday mornings. Except for doing church remotely (and an experiment with Adult Bible Class via Zoom), I have had to look for other markers. The ones I selected aren’t new, like my walks on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings and doing laundry on Fridays. But it’s important not to let them slide.

I also find that the week feels more normal if I change as little as possible when adjusting to the new circumstances. For example, I still dress up for church on Sunday mornings even though I attend services in my living room.

Conferencing Flexibly

My normal practice is to attend at least one and preferably two writers’ conferences a year. But the ones I am most interested in may conflict with other activities and obligations. Since we can’t meet in person right now, many organizations are providing learning experiences online at my convenience. Some of that was happening already through various podcasts and webinars, but the offerings have expanded.

The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators had to cancel its summer conference (which didn’t work for me, anyway), so it is providing members with free digital workshops via Zoom. For those who don’t register in time or can’t meet during that time slot, a recorded version of the workshop is available for one month. Two of these workshops are of particular interest to me, and I would have missed out without the pandemic.

Capturing Feelings

The next middle grade historical novel I plan on writing is about a girl whose family lives in a lighthouse. One day when I was suffering from condo fever, I realized that my protagonist will be in a similar situation. So I can draw on how I feel now when I write the scenes that portray her feelings about being stuck on a lonely island.

Trying Something New

I’m ahead on my writing and am ready to begin my next book. My plan was to start the middle grade historical novel I mentioned above. Writing that book would have been fun, and I’m still going to do it. But I’ve been wondering if this wouldn’t be a good time to change things up a bit and try writing a murder mystery for adults. I read the genre but am not sure I’ll be any good at writing it.

Still, this is a good time to take a risk. I don’t think P.D. James has to worry about the competition, but if I can be half as good as she is, I’ll be happy.



So get creative and find your own ways to cope with condo/apartment/house fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment