Dealing with Reader Expectations when the Reader is Wrong

Monday, November 16, 2020

 

The courtroom scene from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is pure farce, and nobody would believe it. So why do television viewers believe crime shows that are almost as outlandish? And why do they expect me to perpetuate the fallacies in my own work?

I am currently writing a murder mystery with two parallel threads, one of which is a police procedural. I have done extensive research into those procedures and am trying to portray them accurately in the manuscript. However, I keep running up against critiquers who say, “but they don’t do it that way on TV (or in books).” And they give me the impression that my readers won’t believe me if I tell the truth. So what’s a writer to do?

In some cases, I’m dealing with the issue by being vague. Do the police really need a warrant or subpoena to see a murder victim’s financial records? I did an internet search and everything I came across discussed access to the suspect’s records, not the victim’s. Financial records aren’t crucial to the murder in my book, but I’m concerned that some readers may stop reading if they don’t see the procedures they have come to expect from TV. So when the detectives talk to the victim’s attorney, I wrote the passage this way:

Staci wrote down the information [about the value of the victim’s estate]. “Please give us her accountant’s contact information so we can review her finances.”

“I’ll email it to you,” Mr. Hunter said. “And when I talk to her daughter, I’ll ask if she’ll give permission for you to go through the records.”

Since those records belonged to a murder victim rather than a suspect, the police wouldn’t have any trouble getting them. Still, the process was always easier if the family cooperated.

Then, when Mr. Hunter talks to the victim’s daughter, he says this:

“The police will want to go through your mother’s financial records. Sometimes family members think of it as an intrusion, but the police will get the information with or without your consent. It looks better if you cooperate.”

Hopefully these passages will satisfy the reader while being vague enough to include the real facts.

Another way to deal with the issue is to explain the seeming inconsistency. For example, on TV shows the detectives always seem to be present at a lineup. I’m setting my story in Chicago, and the Chicago Police Department procedures absolutely prohibit that. So while the suspect is participating in a lineup, my detectives are at their own desks. Here is the way I explain that:

Although Staci would have liked to watch, it wasn’t possible. Under departmental policy, members of the investigative team weren’t allowed to attend a lineup. Even the detective who ran it couldn’t know who the suspect was. That way, nobody would say or do anything, intentionally or unintentionally, that would suggest who the witness should identify.

Of course, this approach creates several challenges. The explanation has to be short but, more importantly, it must blend into the story and advance the plot. If it interrupts the flow or reads like filler, it is better to leave the explanation out altogether.

Another challenge is describing matters my POV character doesn’t witness. I usually resolve this problem by having someone who was there tell Staci what happened. Or, as in the case of the lineup, she imagines what would have happened based on her knowledge of the procedures, after which somebody comes and tells her that the witness did identify the suspect.

From Dust to Dust will go through more drafts before it is completed, and these passages may change.

But I refuse to sacrifice accuracy for reader expectations.

__________

The image at the head of this post is one of John Tenniel’s original illustrations for Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. It is in the public domain because of its age.


No comments:

Post a Comment