Christmas with the Old Masters--van Honthorst

Monday, December 28, 2020

 

This painting by Dutch painter Gerard van Honthorst caught my eye in 2018 when Roland and I visited the Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence, Italy. I think what attracted me is the way the light shines on the baby.

The painting is “Adoration of the Child” and was painted sometime between 1619 and 1621.  Gerard van Honthorst was known for painting artificially lit scenes. The references I read indicate that the light in this painting is supposed to be coming from the moon and that the two girls on the left are angels. 

The light surrounding the Christ Child reminds me of two verses in John 1.

9The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.

14And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Or, to put it another way, here is a verse from the Advent hymn, “Savior of the Nations, Come.”

From the manger newborn light
Shines in glory through the night.
Darkness there no more resides;
In this light faith now abides.

There is one more post in this series, so join me next week as I discuss an unfinished painting by Leonardo da Vinci.

Have a Christ-filled 2021.

__________

I took the photo when we visited Florence in 2018. The painting is in the public domain because of its age.


No comments:

Post a Comment