Searching for Beta Readers

Monday, January 11, 2021

 

I am looking for volunteer beta readers for a murder mystery that is a blend of police procedural and women’s fiction. Although I don’t plan on paying for the service, I will include my beta readers in the acknowledgements if the book is published, and I would be happy to return the favor for beta readers who are also writers.

The ideal beta reader would be:

·       An avid reader

·       Who enjoys police procedurals and women’s fiction, or at least one of the two genres;

·       Someone who is honest and won’t worry about hurting my feelings,

·       And, conversely, someone who understands that every reader is different and won’t feel hurt if I don’t take all their suggestions.

I don’t expect to find the ideal beta reader, but one trait is above all others. If you can’t be honest, don’t volunteer. If you don’t tell me what’s wrong, I won’t know what to fix.

Beta readers will have a month the read the manuscript and give me comments. I will email the manuscript and a set of instructions as Word documents unless a particular volunteer asks for a different format or a hard copy.

If you would like to be a beta reader, use the contact tab at the top of this page or message me on Facebook. If you learned of this request through the Chicago Writers Association email group, you can respond to me there. Or, if you know my personal email address, that works, too.

I’ve worked with middle-grade beta readers many times, but now I’m excited to work with adults.

Thank you for considering this request.


1 comment:

Home on the Range said...

Kathryn - I'd be happy to be a beta reader. I'm a best selling author, and a federal agent with a Ph.D in Criminal justice. LOVE mysteries. I live in Brookfield and during the whole COVID thing have lots of free time. brigid223 at gmail dot com.

Post a Comment