Lighthouse Travel Research--Mapping the Station

Monday, July 19, 2021

 

As mentioned in my last post, my recent lighthouse research trip provided insight into the isolation and loneliness my protagonist would feel at a remote location. But it also helped me map my fictional setting and put the buildings in likely spots. After all, I don’t want the buildings to move to different locations in the middle of the book.

Besides the tower and the keepers’ house, each lighthouse station had several outbuildings. In the days before automated lighthouses, all stations had a fuel building that was located away from the other structures because of the volatile nature of its contents. Most stations had either a fog bell or a foghorn, also separate from the light and the keepers’ dwelling, possibly in the futile hope that it wouldn’t disturb the keepers’ families during the night.

Then there was the outhouse, which was a necessity well into the twentieth century for some of the more isolated lighthouse stations. The outhouse was often built of brick, and a typical one had two holes for adults and a smaller one for children.

It was also common for a lighthouse station to have a barn and a boathouse. Some also had a tramway, which wasn’t a building as much as an elevator designed to haul supplies up a cliff from the dock below.

Before we went on our trip, I tried to draw a preliminary map of my fictional Lonely Rock Lighthouse station, but I knew it was incomplete. After returning, I drew the one at the head of this post. As I write the story, I may discover the need to add additional topographical features, but at least I know where the buildings are.

A map keeps buildings from moving around unexpectedly or characters from walking in the wrong direction to reach them, and location research can help develop that map even for a fictional setting.

And that’s especially important when the setting is a character in the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment