Writer's Block or Idea Overload?

Monday, June 20, 2022

 

After six years of heavy use, my primary laptop had slowed down considerably, especially when it came to starting up and loading programs. So after taking it in for service and still not being happy with the speed, I replaced it with a new one. I love my ASUS Vivobox, and, contrary to some people’s experiences, I have had no problems with Windows 11.

But even the best laptop can’t keep up with my brain.

Last Monday, June 13, The Wall Street Journal published an article about a Tokyo café for people with writer’s block. Apparently the owner helps them set writing goals, and being in the presence of other writers in the same situation provides additional incentive. It’s a fascinating concept, but not one I’ll be making use of.

Writer’s block has never been my problem. I’m more likely to be cursed with idea overload.

I wake up in the middle of the night with ideas running through my head, and I can’t go to sleep until I’ve gone into the office and written them down. And I currently have three manuscripts and a series of devotions in progress. Right now I am doing one devotion a day while writing the first draft of Across the Isthmus. But when I finish that, should I do the second draft of Around the Horn or the third draft of Lonely Rock?

If you invent a laptop that can keep up with the computer God gave me, I’ll be your first customer.

For now, my new one will have to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment