Life Goes On

Monday, July 18, 2022

 

Just over a week ago, I went to a funeral for my cousin Lawrence. Two days later, I attended a bridal shower for a nephew and his fiancé. The two events coming so closely together reminded me that life goes on, and as one closes another takes on a new direction.

Funerals are becoming more frequent as I get older, while this is probably the first bridal shower I have attended since my daughter got married sixteen years ago. But while Larry was laid to rest, babies were being born, couples were getting engaged, and life goes on.

Although divorce is not unknown on my father’s side of the family, mostly we have had some very long, very strong marriages. Lawrence and Janet had been married 63 years before her death in 2018. I was four when they got married and don’t remember the wedding, but my father performed the ceremony, so I was probably there.

That brings me back to the bridal shower I just attended. I wish Mike and Amanda the same long, happy marriage that Larry and Janet had.

And life goes on.

__________

The photo comes from one of Daddy’s slides and shows Lawrence and Janet signing their marriage license in 1955 while Daddy looks on. I assume my mother took the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment