The Missing Ingredient

Monday, October 24, 2022

 

Two weeks ago I attended a nephew’s wedding. We weren’t sure we were going to make it because the location could only be accessed by crossing a railroad track. A freight train was stopped at one of the two entrances, and we had no way of knowing whether the train was long enough to block the other entrance, too.

Fortunately, we were stuck behind other cars also headed to the wedding. Eventually the front one turned around, the next one followed, and so on. I assume that somebody in the front car heard via cell phone that the other entrance wasn’t blocked. In any event, we followed, too, and we made it with a few minutes to spare.

The bride is a geologist whose previous job involved environmental work on Lake Michigan, so she wanted to hold the ceremony in a gazebo overlooking it. The weather cooperated, and the traditional secular ceremony went well. But I was disappointed because it was missing what I consider to be the most important ingredient in any marriage. There was no mention of Christ.

Congratulations Mike and Amanda. I wish you a long and happy marriage. But even more, I wish you a Christ-centered one.

That’s what helps the best marriages survive.

__________

I didn’t get any photos of the ceremony itself because there were too many heads in the way, so the one at the top of this post was taken by my daughter, Caroline Camp Ill.


No comments:

Post a Comment