I Love Adult Books, Too

Monday, February 20, 2023

 

Last week I talked about my love for children’s books, but I enjoy adult books, too. Some genres, anyway.

My first foray into adult books came in junior high or high school when I raided Mama’s store of novels from her college days. They included The Mill on the Floss and Silas Marner by George Eliot, both of which I loved, one or two novels by Charles Dickens, and some Shakespeare. I still enjoy much of the work by those three authors, although I can’t seem to get through George Eliot’s Ramola.

High school also found me hooked on what are now classic mysteries. I had a subscription to the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, where I was introduced to Rex Stout, Ellery Queen, and others. I especially enjoyed Agatha Christie, and over the years I collected and read every one of her books. Like anyone with a long career, some of her mysteries are better than others. A few even make me cringe when I reread them these days, and I wonder if she was pressed for ideas after writing so many others. Still, she remains my favorite mystery author, and my very favorite among them is her first one, Murder at the Vicarage. You can read more about my love affair with Agatha Christie in my February 22, 2016 post. 

I’m not sure when I discovered Jane Austin, but I’ve read each of her books as well. I even have an idea for finishing one of her unfinished novels, although I’ll probably never get to it.

Elizabeth Cadell is a more recent discovery. Light-hearted and often humorous, her books range from family stories to romances to mysteries. Staying on the lighter side, I also enjoy the Miss Read books, which explore life in small-town England. Both authors had their heyday in the latter half of the 20th century.

I do also like some contemporary authors. My favorite books include The Chilbury Ladies Choir and other books by Jennifer Ryan and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafter. They are historicals that take place during or shortly after World War II.

So as you can see, my favorite adult genres are classic mysteries and historical novels, although I also enjoy lighter reading.

But whatever genres you enjoy, you’ll never regret reading a good book.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I first fell in love with mysteries thanks to Dorothy Sayers and Lord Peter Wimsey.

Post a Comment