Another Year at the Fair

Monday, August 21, 2023

 


I entered 17 photos in the Advanced Division of the Lake County Fair this year and won three 3rd place ribbons and one 1st. I had to laugh because the blue ribbon was for a “just because I can” photo, meaning one that fit the category and didn’t embarrass me but that I didn’t expect to win anything. The one I thought was my best and had my hopes riding on got a 3rd place. Photography is subjective, and you can never predict what a judge will do.

The photo at the top of the page is the first-place winner from the Color/Weather category. It is from my trip to Iceland. An interesting fact is that I took it on my cell phone because I couldn’t get my more sophisticated camera to set up correctly. The best thing about this win is that I met my long-time goal to beat a particular member of my camera club.

This next photo is the one that I really, really like. It was taken at the Waterford Crystal factory in Ireland. The woman is cutting a design into a wineglass, and I love the concentration on her face. The category was B&W/Human Interest.

"Man and Mountain Goat" took third place in the Color/Portrait category. The man was obviously expecting people to photograph him and his goat because he had a cap out to accept donations. I dropped money in his cap and asked for permission anyway, which he gave.

The final photo took third place in the Color/Architecture category. Competition wise, I do better with photos showing details of buildings than I do with photos of an entire building. That’s probably true for others as well, since taking the entire building is more touristy. (I take both, though.) This photo shows some of the detail of the Melbourne (Australia) Arts Center, which was designed to look like the Eifel Tower.

I’ve been entering in the Advanced Division for several years now, with varying results. I’m up against strong competitors, and many of them take a lot more time with their photos than I do with mine (both in setting up the photo itself and in post-processing). So I’m happy with whatever I get.

With this year’s fair behind me, I can’t wait for next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment