Setting is Important

Monday, September 9, 2024

I just finished reading Bummer Camp by Ann Garvin. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend it to anyone because the plot was ridiculous. It may have been intended for humor, but I winced much more often than I laughed.

Normally, I would have put it down after a few chapters. So why didn’t I? The story took place in a summer camp in the woods, and I was caught up in the well-executed setting.

The photo shows the outdoor amphitheater at Presbytery Point in Michigan, a Presbyterian camp located on the Upper Peninsula. I spent a number of summers there as a child. Or rather, I spent seven days there each summer, since the individual camps were only a week long. I always looked forward to going but got homesick after being there a couple of days. And yet, the next year I couldn’t wait to return. So the setting of Bummer Camp brought back many pleasant memories.

Setting can be an integral part of a book’s plot, as it was here, but it is the plot that is crucial to the story. Even though I finished the book, I will not read another one by Ann Garvin.

Still, although a good setting is never an excuse for a bad plot, it can cover some sins.

That’s why a good writer doesn’t ignore the setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment