Living Mercy

Monday, January 21, 2013

Yesterday was Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. It was instituted in the wake of Roe v. Wade to remind us that the yet unborn are people, too. I totally agree with that purpose. I believe that we are human from conception and that abortion is wrong. And having a day set aside to remind us of that is a good thing.

But Christians can't stop there.

Honoring the sanctity of human life requires more than just taking a stand against premature termination. Our responsibility doesn't end when a child is born.

As Christians, our responsibility is to care for those in need--spiritually, physically, or emotionally--no matter what their age.

We do this in many ways. We care by volunteering time or donating money to programs such as food pantries and emergency relief organizations. We also care by taking a casserole or a listening ear to the neighbor down the street who is out of work or dealing with a death in the family. But however we do it, we do it because Christ did it, and we want to follow his example.

Christians are called to live mercy. The word means treating people with compassion and alleviating their distress. And when we do, we serve God.

As Christ himself put it in Matthew 25:34-40 (NIV):

     Then the King will say to those on his right, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

     Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?"

     The King will reply,"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it for me."
 
So go out and live mercy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment