A Legacy of Memories

Monday, January 4, 2016


My mother died on December 15. She was 96 years old, had a good life, and was ready to go. She didn’t want to be here for Christmas, and she got her wish.

Mama left her family a number of legacies, including her love of God, her love of music, and her love of each of us. She also left us a legacy of memories.

I’m not just talking about the memories we shared, either, although those are important. She spent her retirement years putting together a family history, which she later updated, and writing down her own history. Her married life was included in my father’s memoirs, so she concentrated on her childhood.

Mama published a few memories and stories, but she didn’t strive to be an author. She wrote mostly for her family. The family history was widely disseminated among the Wagners, the Gugelers, and their various branches, and she shared her memoirs with her children and grandchildren. That was enough for her.

I keep telling myself that I should write up my own memories for my children and any grandchildren I may have someday, but I can’t seem to find the time. And that’s a shame.

Because everyone should leave a legacy of memories.

__________

The picture at the top of this post shows Opal W. Page celebrating her 96th birthday. The others in the picture are my son-in-law Pete, my daughter Caroline, and my brother, Donald.

No comments:

Post a Comment