Agent Questions: Please share a favorite sentence from the manuscript you are submitting.

Monday, May 27, 2019


When an agent asked me to share a favorite sentence from my manuscript, I blanked. I could come up with a favorite scene, but a favorite sentence? I don’t even remember the great movie lines. When I hear them, I might be able to identify the movie, but it doesn’t work the other way around. And how do you isolate a sentence from the story itself? Even the most memorable lines fall flat if you don’t know the context.

Besides, I’d like to think that each of my sentences is brilliant. If I didn’t like it, why would I put it in? Well, I will admit to an occasional dud, but not on purpose.

Seriously, though, I believe in simple, direct writing that challenges my middle-grade readers but doesn’t frustrate them. Ornamentation is not my style. So after scanning my manuscript, I chose this sentence.

“As I swam, the water acted like a mirror, reflecting the curve of the approaching shore, the black trunk and branches of the lone tree, and the green of its leaves.”

So is it my favorite? Probably not. But it does reflect my writing style.

And that will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment