Agent Questions: What is the last book you've read?

Monday, May 20, 2019


As mentioned in the last post, I’m commenting here on a series of questions asked on one agent’s submission form. The question for this week is, “What is the last book you’ve read?”

At the time, the last book I had finished was One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia, so that’s what I said. Not only was it an honest answer, but it may also have been a fortunate one. After all, I was querying middle-grade historical fiction, and One Crazy Summer is middle-grade historical fiction. That wasn’t unusual, either, since I often read within my genre.

If I had filled out the form two days later, I would have had to say that the last book I had read was Chestnut Street by Maeve Binchy, which is adult literary fiction. Several weeks earlier, the answer would have been the P.D. James mystery A Certain Justice. And right before One Crazy Summer, I read The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place, a humorous YA by Julie Berry.

It was an agency submission form, and I don’t know what the agency was hoping to discover. Does it want me to be a well-rounded reader or to stick to my genre? And I question the usefulness of the question. What can an agent tell from a single book title?

When I filled out the form, my answer indicated that I had been reading within my genre.

But I don’t always.

No comments:

Post a Comment