A Reading Inspiration

Monday, June 17, 2019


My mother would have been 100 years old on Wednesday.
Mama gave me too many gifts to list, with the greatest being a Christian example that radiated her love for God. She taught me to sew and to love music (although not enough to motivate me to practice piano), and she also instilled in me a love of reading. This last is the subject of today’s blog.
Both my parents made sure my brothers and I were faithful library patrons. Daddy taught me to read before I went to school, and he always encouraged my interest. But Daddy’s taste was very different from mine, and it was Mama who really sparked my love for reading.
As a girl, I read many of Mama’s books. When she married Daddy, she left a number of her childhood books at the Iowa farm where she grew up, and I read them on visits to my grandparents. My favorites were the books from the “Little Maids” series by Alice Turner Curtis. I probably could have taken them home with me, but it was nice to have that special library to look forward to on our trips to Danville.
In junior high and high school, I discovered the classics Mama had read during her college days. My favorites were The Mill on the Floss and Silas Marner by George Elliot. I also enjoyed Mama’s many Grace Livingston Hill romances.
Mama continued to be an avid reader until the end. Whenever I took her to the doctor or the dentist, she was sure to have a Guideposts magazine in her purse. She also subscribed to Readers Digest, two Christian romance book clubs, and several newsletters from groups active in the Middle East.
Our tastes diverged somewhat as we aged, but I’m still following Mama’s example, and I want to keep reading right up to my death just as she did.
Happy birthday, Mama.
__________
I took this picture on Mama’s 96th birthday, which was the last one she celebrated on this earth. The other people in it are my son-in-law, Pete; my daughter, Caroline; and my older brother, Donald.

No comments:

Post a Comment