I Need More Pocket-Sized Books

Monday, June 24, 2019


I’ve been spending a lot of time in waiting rooms lately. I don’t mind as long as I have a good book to read, but I worry about forgetting it if I set it down. And since I don’t always want to carry a purse, I prefer to read something that fits in my pocket—generally known as mass market paperbacks.

Once upon a time, publishers printed many books as mass market paperbacks. They print some, but the selection is mostly limited to romance and best-selling authors, which aren’t my usual reading preferences.

Years ago, I collected Agatha Christie mass market paperbacks. I didn’t intend it as a collection at first. I just bought them to read them, and the size was perfect for taking to the doctor or the dentist or anywhere else I might have to wait. Several years ago I decided my Agatha Christie mysteries were a collection after all, albeit with a few holes. Unfortunately, when I tried to buy those missing volumes, they no longer came in the 4 X 7 inch mass market size, so my nicely arranged shelves are marred with several books that are an inch too wide and an inch too tall. And, unfortunately, those books don’t fit in my pocket.

When did publishers and readers decide that bigger is better? Maybe more people would buy paperbacks if they were easier to carry when going out. Or have we become so narcissistic that we want our books large enough so that everyone to see what we are reading and commend us for being trendy or sophisticated or intellectual?

I’d rather have a book I can put in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment