The story starts here--or does it?

Monday, August 2, 2021

 

Writers, myself included, often begin a story too early, giving a lot of background before reaching the place where the story really starts. We justify it by saying the background is necessary to the plot or characterization of the novel, which, even if true, is just an excuse for bad writing since it can usually be woven into the story when it becomes relevant. As I said, I’ve been guilty of this too and had to force myself to go back and cut out pages or even chapters at the beginning of the manuscript.

But my current work in progress, Lonely Rock, is different. This time I started too late.

In my original first chapter, Jessie and her friends were looking forward to a fun summer. That would have been fine if the book was about what happened to Jessie and her friends over the summer. I started there because I wanted to show the reader what Jessie was like, and she is all about her friends. But the real story involves Jessie’s move to a lighthouse, and the friends exit offstage. If I start the book with them, readers will expect these walk-on players to have major roles and will be disappointed when that expectation isn’t met.

That chapter also introduced too many people at once. Aside from Jessie’s three friends, I had various townspeople show up to make the scene more interesting. That can be confusing to a reader.

The second chapter introduced the other major players—Jessie’s family. And there were no extraneous characters to confuse the reader.

So what did I do? I switched the two chapters with a few minor changes to the timeline and how I introduced the setting. To make it work, I had to move the story back several days. I think I also managed to find a way to introduce readers to Jessie’s personality without having her friends present. But this is the first draft, so it may change again.

Because maybe there’s an even better place to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment