A Thanksgiving Acrostic

Monday, November 29, 2021

 

It’s a little late to be wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving, but I’m doing it anyway. The days between Thanksgiving and Christmas are a busy time for most of us, and that includes me, so I’m going to use reprints this year. I’ll start with a Thanksgiving acrostic originally posted on November 23, 2015.

A Thanksgiving Acrostic

Here is a list of things that I am thankful for as a writer.

Thesauruses for finding the perfect word,

Handkerchiefs to cry into when my characters get in trouble,

Authentic dialogue,

Notebooks to preserve ideas,

Kind friends and relatives who don’t laugh at my lousy first drafts,

Snoopy’s Guide to the Writing Life for those moments when I need encouragement mixed with humor,

Gripping plots,

Imaginary friends (and enemies) who come to life on the page,

Vivid description,

Imagery that puts the reader in the setting,

Nerve to cut out those favorite passages that just don’t fit, and

Groups of other writers to provide critiques, support, and networking.

__________

The picture at the head of this post wasn’t in the original 2015 post. It is a Currier and Ives print titled “Home to Thanksgiving” and is in the public domain because of its age. (Currier and Ives went out of business in 1907.)


No comments:

Post a Comment