Writing Lessons from Africa--Tastes Differ

Monday, November 8, 2021


I think wart hogs are among the ugliest animals God made. Well, hippos on land are uglier, and I’m sure you can name a few other animals, but wart hogs are near the top of my list. One of the women I went on safari with had a different take, though. Debbie thinks wart hogs are beautiful, and she was excited every time we saw some. It just goes to show that people have different tastes.

Readers have different tastes, too. It’s easy for me to get discouraged when someone doesn’t like what I have written. If it’s a true critique where they point out things I could have done differently, I appreciate the feedback. But sometimes it’s just because they don’t like the type of things I write.

And that’s okay.

I’ve heard some writers claim that they are writing for the masses. Unfortunately, that’s an unobtainable objective. No one can please everyone, and I’d go crazy if I tried. Or I’d get so depressed that I’d give up writing altogether.

Some audiences are narrower than others, but none include everyone. Even generalized categories such as children, teens, adult women, and adult men are far too broad.

A sane writer (if there is such a thing) narrows his or her audience and writes for it. If other people enjoy the story, too, that’s simply a bonus.

So find your audience, and don’t be discouraged when you come across a reader who isn’t part of it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment