Lessons from the Shark Tank: A Few Last Words

Monday, August 8, 2022

 

Here are a few other lessons I learned from Shark Tank.

  • Don’t hold out for perfection. One woman lost a deal for her all-natural kosher soups because she was worried about losing control of the quality if she contracted with a commercial kitchen to make and pack the soup. Unfortunately for her, she didn’t have the facilities to fill all her orders and the sharks didn’t think that building her own commercial kitchen was a viable option. If I remember correctly, the sharks felt she was heading toward bankruptcy because she wasn’t willing to settle for anything less than perfection.

If I refused to submit my manuscripts to editors and agents until they were perfect, they would never leave my office. Yes, I want to get them as close to perfection as I can, but at some point, the time I spend revising has diminishing returns. That’s when I stop tinkering and send the manuscript off.

  • Don’t overvalue yourself and walk away from needed help. If someone comes on the show asking for a $100,000 investment for 5% of their company, that means they value the company at $2 million ($100,000 X 20). As professional investors, the sharks are experts at valuation, and they have a much lower one. Some participants negotiate and give up a larger share, lowering their valuation in exchange for the investment. Others refuse to adjust their figures to match those of the experts and walk away from help they desperately need to keep their companies going.

Writers act the same way when they ignore suggestions from critique partners. Notice that I said ignore, not reject. Some suggestions should be rejected, but only after thinking them through. Years ago a member of my critique group frequently criticized the stories I was writing for the Christian market. My knee-jerk reaction was, “you’re not my target audience.” But when I thought about it more, I realized that I was missing out on the opportunity to draw in a larger audience. Often a small change made a big difference without losing the impact of the story. If I had gone with my first reaction, I would have lost that opportunity to improve.

  • Arrogance gets you nowhere. One participant had a patented wine glass—with the wine included—that several sharks wanted. He had been on the show before and Mr. Wonderful had offered him a deal with the idea of licensing the product, but the participant turned it down. When I watched, he had returned to the show because (if I remember correctly) he didn’t have the funds to produce the inventory he needed for his own sales. Kevin still wanted the product and one or two of the other sharks were willing to join the deal, but their valuation was significantly lower than the patent owner’s valuation. He left the room to call a mentor who was successful in the beer business, and that person apparently agreed with the participant’s valuation rather than with the valuation placed on it by the sharks. When Mr. Wonderful asked if the mentor had invested anything in the company the participant said no, that a good advisor must be disinterested. That position is contrary to what the sharks have repeatedly said. The very arrogant participant basically thumbed his nose at the sharks and walked out without a deal. Personally, I'm not sure that wasn’t his game plan to begin with, and I wouldn’t be surprised if his arrogance sent the company into bankruptcy.

Arrogance also turns readers off. So if you want to attract them, be humble.

  • Be honest. I’m pretty sure that Shark Tank isn’t scripted, and I believe them when they say the sharks make their own decisions and invest their own money. But that doesn’t mean the words “you have a deal” are binding. As good business-people, the sharks would naturally check out the claims made on the show before writing a check. Someone who misrepresents his or her product or sales will end up with a lost deal and a bad reputation

Research is also an important part of credible writing, even if it’s fantasy. If something doesn’t ring true, readers won’t pick up the next book by that same author.

Now that you know more about Shark Tank, don’t forget the lessons learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment