Winning Isn't Everything

Monday, August 15, 2022

 

Another Lake County Fair has come and gone. This was the second time in seven years that I haven’t won anything, but that’s okay. I was up against stiff competition, and many of my competitors spend hours using post-processing software. I don’t have that kind of time. I usually spend 15-30 minutes to bring out the highlights and eliminate the worst flaws, but I prefer my photos to look natural.

Of course I like to win, but that’s not the primary reason I enter. I enjoy sorting through my photos looking for decent pictures that fit the categories, and although I may not think a photo will win, I’m happy to enter anything that doesn’t embarrass me. In other words, if I like it, that’s good enough.

Photography is art, not science, and judging it is subjective. It’s good to understand the traditional wisdom because there are many times when following technical “rules” improve a picture. But not always. It’s all in how the photographer sees his or her subject. Since the photographer is the only person who knows what he or she is trying to say with a particular photo, ultimately the artist is the only judge who matters.

And I’m fine with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment