Finding Time to Read

Monday, January 9, 2023

 

In 2022 I read 122 books purely for fun. Well, maybe “purely for fun” is the wrong way to phrase it since I’m always picking up writing tips (both dos and don’ts) from reading other authors, but that number doesn’t include any of the nonfiction—including the many journals—that I read as research. I even left out the children’s fiction that I read to see how other authors have treated the same subject I’m looking to write about.

“Read” may also be a slight misnomer, since seventeen of them were audio books that I listened to while walking for exercise or doing housework.

Four of the 122 were novellas, and 42 were middle-grade novels, which tend to be shorter than adult fiction. Even so, that’s a lot of books in a year.

In spite of being retired from my legal career, I still lead a busy life. I consider myself a full-time writer, and although those writing hours include reading for research, I left those books out of the count. I'm also involved in several church ministries (e.g., choir, leading a Bible class) and am active in a local camera club. I even find time to watch Jeopardy in the afternoon and a few other game and reality shows in the evening and on weekends.

So how do I find time to do so much reading? Listening to audio books is one way. We all have moments when our body is busy but our mind isn’t. That’s the perfect time to listen to an audio book.

Then there is waiting time. If I have a doctor’s appointment or am going anywhere where I may have to wait around, I take a book. It’s usually my Kindle since that fits into my purse, but I have taken paperbacks and hardcover books, too.

I also use time that would otherwise be wasted. such as reading during commercials while watching TV. That probably won’t work for everyone since your mind has to be able to pick up the story where you left off a few minutes ago. But it does work for me.

If I’m eating a meal by myself, I read. Actually, I sometimes read when I’m eating with Roland, too, but he’s reading as well. I realize that reading while sharing a meal with others won’t work for everyone. Some people think it’s rude, but when you’ve both agreed to the practice, I don’t see it that way. And when we feel like talking, we do.

Then there are the times when most people read. An evening with nothing interesting on TV. A free Sunday afternoon. I take advantage of them, too.

If you complain that you can’t find time to read, you haven’t tried.

So read some good books this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment