Mournng the Lake County Fair

Monday, June 1, 2020


The Lake County Fair has been officially cancelled for this year, ending my five-year string of photography entries. Since I don’t have that outlet, I have decided to display the photos in this blog post. But first, you need to know how the exhibit works.
Under the rules, I’m required to enter in the “Advanced” category (as I’ve done for the past few years), and only one photo can be entered in each section. Color and black-and-white are different sections, however. Also, the photos must all be 8 X 10 or 10 X 8, so that is the proportion (although not the dimensions) that I used here.
The photo at the top of this blog is the Grand Canal in Venice and would have been my color entry for Artistic Effect. The next one would also have been Artistic Effect but in black-and-white. It was taken at Parintins, Brazil while waiting for the tender to take us back to our cruise ship.

The next two photos would have been my two Floral entries. I don’t know what the first flower is, but you can tell that I prefer nature natural to studio perfect. The second is some type of lily.

I don’t have good luck in Human Interest, but I would have tried this one taken on Tobago in the Caribbean.
Then there is Nature-Scenic, which always confuses me. Lake County gives no guidance on the categories other than the name, and I’m never sure if I can use scenic photos that combine nature and other elements (such as buildings or people). Even so, this photo taken from St. Thomas in the Caribbean would have been my color entry in that section.
I’m not good at portraits. I entered that section only once and didn’t get a ribbon, but I like this photo I took near Manaus, Brazil, so I would have entered it. (By the way, I have no idea what the boy is holding.)
Architecture is one of my favorite categories. This year’s entries would have been a Nashville parking garage (taken from my hotel room) and Catherine Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia.

My final entries would have been in Wildlife. The iguana was on St. Thomas in the Caribbean, and I think I saw the geese along the Erie Canal.

Some of these photos may get entered in next year’s fair, but I hope to have additional choices by then.
And since you can’t see these in August, enjoy them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment