Researching a Murder Mystery

Monday, June 15, 2020


As a lawyer, nothing turns me off faster than a murder mystery or thriller that gets the law wrong—especially if the author is also a lawyer. So when writing my own murder mystery, research is key. But how far do I need to go?

Some information is easy to discover through the Internet or other sources. For example, I learned that a Chicago homicide would be attended by the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office, not by a coroner, and that most recent court records are online, which allows my detectives to check them from the comfort of their own desks.

Other information is harder to find. When I wanted to know how long it would take to get DNA results from a police lab, the Internet gave me figures ranging from 24 hours to 6 months, and none of them were specific to Chicago or even to Illinois.

If I get something wrong, it isn’t necessarily fatal. After all, John Grisham has a large following even though he has either forgotten or ignored everything he learned in law school. And if I mess up on some of the small things, it won’t be for lack of trying to get them right.

But I’d rather tear up the manuscript than get the big things wrong.

__________

The picture at the top of this page shows a DNA model at the Alden B. Dow Museum of Science & Art at Midland, Michigan. I took the photo in 2015.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for some other wonderful article. Where else could anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing?
I've a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such information.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous
to and you are just extremely magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you're stating and
the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still
care for to keep it wise. I can't wait to read far more from you.
This is really a wonderful web site.

Post a Comment