It's a Zoom World

Monday, January 10, 2022

 

We don’t know how good we have it.

Imagine what it was like to leave home and not know what was happening to friends or family until a rare letter came through. Since I write historical fiction, some of my characters experience this isolation.

When COVID 19 shut everything down, I thought I was cut off from most of my creative groups. I still communicated regularly with my online critique partner, but what about writers’ conferences and meetings of my photography club? I missed the in-person contact, and I still do. But thanks to Zoom and its competitors, face-to-face interaction is not dead.

The Highland Writers Group had been meeting in-person at coffee houses, but it quickly adjusted to the pandemic by adopting a Zoom meeting format where we chat a bit and then read and critique our work. We have since returned to meeting at venues that allow for in-person interaction, but Zoom is still available for those who are worried about COVID or for whom travel to the in-person location is inconvenient.

The Calumet Region Photo Club (CRPC) also adjusted by holding its meeting via Zoom. And somebody from the umbrella group developed a computer program for holding internet competitions. Of course, that only works for digital images, so those clubs that want to have print competitions must do them in person. My club has chosen to stick with digital competitions for now, and that’s fine with me since I rarely entered prints before the pandemic. (Digital images are cheaper and less work.)

CRPC had an in-person picnic in the summer and an in-person Christmas dinner in December, and they were both wonderful. We thought we were going to return to in-person program and mentoring meetings starting tomorrow, but circumstances interfered and we’ll be online for another month.

I really miss attending writers’ conferences, and I was looking forward to attending the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators’ (SCBWI) Midwest conference in April. So I was really disappointed when that got cancelled. But the SCBWI has been offering free online workshops for members, and I’ve taken advantage of some of them. That isn’t a Zoom format, but I do get to see the presenters, and those who watch real-time can use the chat function to ask questions.

In-person meetings are always the best way to foster relationships and to learn from others, and I can’t wait until things return to the old normal. At least, I hope they will do that.

But the pandemic hasn’t eliminated all opportunities to interact with other creative individuals and learn from them.

And I’m grateful.

__________

The photo at the top of this post shows the Highland Writers Group’s March 13, 2021 Zoom meeting.  


No comments:

Post a Comment