New Year, Same Person: Some Things Never Change

Monday, January 3, 2022

 

My brother was going through some boxes that my mother left behind after her death, and he came across a report card from my first year in school. I was seven years old and attending The Community School in Amman, Jordan, which was a private school for English-speaking students.

It’s amazing how closely that progress report matches up with my subsequent life. For example, “Her reading is very good. She is eager to read and devours any book given to her.” Or, when discussing mathematics, “Very good & quick. She can now do addition, subtraction & multiplication sums without difficulty. She finds problems easy to solve.” English and math were always my strongest subjects, and I am still devouring books.

Then there were those subjects that weren’t my strengths then and still aren’t today. The progress report doesn’t give grades, and Mrs. Palmer was good at wording things diplomatically. For example, here is the comment on geography. “This new subject does not yet mean much to her.” And in spite of being a world traveler, it still doesn’t. (I am better with those places I have actually visited, however.)

Or here is what she said about handwriting and spelling, which were always my worst subjects and the only ones I ever got Ds in during elementary and high school. “She has tried very hard with her writing and has made satisfactory progress. The letters are now formed more evenly. Textbook work good. She has made a good start in spelling.”

Some things do change, of course. Consider these comments: “All her oral work is hampered with shyness” and “she is still somewhat nervous and shy with adults.” I’m still an introvert, but I’ve worked very hard to overcome my shyness. Many of my acquaintances would be surprised to learn that it was ever one of my major characteristics.

The other big difference is that I wasn’t writing stories back then. But I have always had a vivid imagination, so I may have made them up in my mind.

The point I’m trying to make is that our early years often predict our later ones. And I hope that Mrs. Palmer’s final comments are still true today.

“Kathryn is a helpful little girl. She is always eager to learn & has made good progress in all her work.”

I’d be happy to leave that as my legacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment