Tell Me What I'm Doing Wrong

Monday, January 17, 2022

 

Every writer needs at least one critique partner. It could be an individual or a group, and I have both. Either way, we need someone to keep us on track

Sometimes it’s big things, such as beginning a book with an epidemic that doesn’t produce the desired outcome. My online critique partner, Celeste Charlene, is a retired nurse, so I asked her for advice on what illness to use. She told me there were none that worked the way I wanted, at least not at that time in that place. Although she didn’t yet know what the story was about, she suggested some other possibilities to achieve the same outcome, including a fire, and that’s what I used.

The little things are almost as important, and they add up much faster. Often, it’s just a case of confusing my reader. I know who I’m talking about or what I mean to say, and sometimes I assume my readers will read my mind as well as the words on the paper. So when Celeste or members of the Highland Writers Group misinterpret what I said, or which character I’m referring to, I know it needs clarifying.

These independent sets of eyes make my stories so much better.

It works both ways, of course. I can’t expect to take without giving. I provide the same types of feedback to Celeste as she gives me. And it works the same way in my critique group.

Not everyone is a good critique partner, however. You don’t want Aunt Nancy patting you on the back and telling you what a wonderful writer you are. Instead, you want a Celeste Charlene who understands your writing style and notices and points out the flaws in the story. Celeste and I “met” online as part of a three-person critique group, but we didn’t fit well with the other person, who soon left to find a more compatible group. But Celeste and I have been partners for ten or fifteen years.

Although we must understand each other’s writing style, that isn’t the same as critiquing it. Since every writer is—and should be—different, style is a personal matter. We do discuss it, however, asking each other questions to make sure we understand the ramifications of our choices.

If you aspire to be a writer, find a good critique partner or group to tell you what you’re doing wrong.

I’m glad I did.

__________

The photo at the top of this post shows Celeste Charlene and me in 2012.  


No comments:

Post a Comment