Guidebooks to History

Monday, May 9, 2022

 

The characters in my current work-in-progress have to wait in New York City for several days before boarding a ship for Panama and the California gold fields, and they explore the city during that time. So how can I learn what NYC was like then? Download and read old tourist guidebooks.

It’s amazing what you can find on the internet. My story takes place in 1850, and an internet search came up with two guidebooks from around that time. Appleton’s New York City and Vicinity Guide was published in 1849, and The Stranger’s Hand-Book for the City of New York was published by C.S. Francis & Co. for use in 1853 and 1854. Both gave me a feel for the major tourist attractions that my characters might have seen and I picked the most likely ones, including the view from the top of the Trinity Church tower and the fountain at Central Park (then just called “the Park”).

Of course, I still had to be careful because things can change quickly. This is especially true if the guide is published after the story’s date. In the days before the Panama Canal, my protagonist and her family take a steamship to the Atlantic side of Panama, cross the Isthmus by canoe and mule, and pick up another steamship at Panama City on the Pacific. When talking about the ships leaving New York City for Panama, The Stranger’s Hand-Book states that “The transit of the Isthmus by the Panama Railroad is performed in from 18 to 24 hours.” The railroad was not finished until 1855, however, and the guide was probably quoting some optimistic member of the company building it. That’s fine with me since I can get a lot more drama from a crossing that occurs before the railroad is built. But my point here is that a writer should double-check facts even when using contemporary materials.

I also needed to be sure that the information in the 1849 guide was still current in 1850. At a time when fires were an everyday occurrence, one or more of the buildings referenced in Appleton’s guide could have burned down before my characters arrived in NYC. All the sights I used were referenced in both Appleton’s guide and The Stranger’s Guide-Book, so I can be fairly certain that nothing happened to them in-between.

So if you are trying to describe what a city was like in the past, see if you can find a guidebook from that time.

But don’t forget to check its facts.


No comments:

Post a Comment