Worshiping Together

Monday, May 30, 2022

 

Thursday was Ascension Day. My church united with the other LCMS churches in our district for a joint service, and I sang in the combined choir.

Colossians 3:16 says, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” (ESV) That’s exactly what happened on Thursday night. The five congregations that were represented joined together in singing the liturgy (Divine Service 3 for my LCMS friends) and six very joyful hymns, including several of my favorites.

I love to sing, and the entire service filled me with joy. But the real joy didn’t come from the music or the sermon or even from taking communion. The real joy comes from knowing that my Savior lives and will return again one day, and that I am with Him now and for all eternity.

Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia!

__________

The image at the top of this post is Rembrandt’s “The Ascension,” painted as part of a Passion Cycle commissioned by Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange. Oil paint darkens over the years, so I lightened the image to show the detail better. It is in the public domain because of its age.


No comments:

Post a Comment