Begin as You Mean to Continue

Monday, July 3, 2023

 

Years ago, I attended a conference workshop where the presenter said it was important to signal the genre in the first few pages of a novel. More frequently, I have heard speakers say that the setting (time and location) and the main character should also be introduced there. There are  exceptions, of course, but they should be carefully thought through and done for a reason that enhances the story.

Those first few pages are usually the book’s best advertisement, and they shouldn’t misrepresent it. That includes the writer’s voice. Voice has many different definitions, but for my purposes here, I’m referring to the way the writer uses words, and I’m going beyond mere style.

Lately I find myself abandoning books partway through because they aren’t what I expected. They start out innocently enough. There may be an occasional swear word, but none are hard core, and any references to sex are oblique. The story is clearly PG. Then, about a fourth of the way through, the story becomes R in the intensity of the curse words and/or the graphicness of the sexual interaction. I can handle a few swear words and gentle references to sex, but too much spoils the story for me.

Some readers are okay with R-rated content, and some are even looking for it. That’s fine, but all of us deserve to know what we are getting into when we first pick up the book.

I don’t generally buy books sight unseen. Either I look at the first few pages when I am in a bookstore, or I use the Look Inside feature on Amazon (recently rebranded as “Read sample”). So if the book starts as it means to begin, sprinkled with swear words or explicit sex, I know enough to avoid it. If it doesn’t, I find myself extremely frustrated when the book proves to be something other than advertised.

As an aside, I do look at Amazon reviews—especially especially the one- and two-star reviews since they are the ones most likely to warn about language or explicit sex. But that doesn’t always work, either, especially if I am looking for an Amazon First Reads selection which doesn’t have many reviews yet.

A good writer will respect the audience and begin as he or she means to continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment