To Listen or Not to Listen?

Monday, July 10, 2023

 

Over the years, I’ve heard successful authors say that it’s important to read your manuscripts out loud. My usual (unspoken) response is, “that sounds good, but I’m not sure the result would be worth the effort.” So I have mostly ignored their advice. (And my own, which I gave in a March 8, 2021 post.)

But listening to audio books has shown me that what looks okay on paper doesn’t necessarily work when read.

·       I’m a big proponent of avoiding dialogue tags when possible, but there are times when doing so results in an awkward scene. For example, people who are sitting around a table eating dinner are often drinking coffee or buttering their bread for no other purpose than to identify the speaker—and it is clear that the action exists for that sole reason. Or on a telephone conversation where the POV character can’t see the person on the other side of the phone but the conversation is long enough that readers get confused if you don’t signal who is talking every now and then, pauses and throat-clearing get monotonous.


I’ve always felt that the word “said” disappears on the page if it isn’t overused, so that’s my default. But recently I was listening to a book by an Irish mystery author, and every “said” jumped into my ear. It wasn’t well-written to begin with and I’m sure she overdid the “said”s even for someone reading it on the page, but it especially irritated me to listen to.

 

·       Then I recently listened to the children’s classic Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sydney, and I kept noticing passages where someone says “oh dear” every other sentence. Usually it’s Polly, and if it had been only her I could have put it down as a character trait, although it would still have been overdone. Unfortunately, she wasn’t the only one who said it. To be fair to Margaret Sydney, there were no audio books in her time. Still, parents read those books out loud to their children.

If these authors had read their books out loud before they were published, maybe they would have caught the words and phrases that were used repeatedly and would have replaced some of them. So yes, authors should read their manuscripts out loud.

Now the question is: Will I take my own advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment